Monday, May 18, 2015

That Which Is Dangerous Can Also Be Beautiful.

Walking down some trails the other day, I came across some poison ivy.  By some, I mean a lot. As a kid I was constantly getting rashes and would use ivy dry and calamine lotion to attempt to soothe the burning itch of the three leaved demon that bit me. I even had a bout that caused my eyes to swell closed and my face to deform. I remember walking around for several weeks feeling like the elephant man.

For so many years I feared three leaved plants. If I even thought I came in contact with one, I would wash in an OCD manner. I'm not sure whether with age, fear subsides or experience teaches but thirty odd years later, I walk through fields of poison ivy and oak with no ill effect. I no longer fear but admire the vines for their beauty and zest for survival. 


No comments:

Post a Comment