Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Paypal of Fortune!

I invented a new game. It initially started as part of my 'Minimalist Lifestyle Project'. It was an epic fail in that respect but was so much fun, I had to share it.

The original concept of the game was to not bring anything new into the co-op without throwing something out first. Well anyone who knows me, knows I like to shop. For eleven years of marriage, I rarely had the chance to do so, I was too busy earning while someone else was too busy spending.

I digress.

The problem with the, 'no new in, without old going out', concept is that, though it helps keep the same amount of stuff, it doesn't reduce what's in the co-op or build up the savings account. Well, This got me thinking... If I stopped buying any of the items on my want list, without selling the dollar equivalent of that item, I'd accomplish two goals. I'd get rid of the, 'good enough not to throw out', crap as well as save money.  I started Ebaying again. After a couple of weeks my Paypal balance was significant. Here is where the 'Wheel of Fortune' part comes in.

Anyone who is old enough to remember the REAL Wheel of Fortune, not the crappy new one, remembers the way contestants got to spend their money on prizes after solving a puzzle. There was a small showroom of items for them to buy and as the prizes built up the cash dwindled down.  Every contestant ended up with a $14 popcorn popper to finish off the last of their winnings.

As I said, when I checked my paypal balance, I was floored. Listing goods was my puzzle solving and the internet was my show room. It was time to shop and in a big way,  In my head I kept hearing, "Look at this internet, filled with glamorous prizes! Fabulous and exciting merchandise! Just waiting to be won today on Paypal of Fortune! And now, here's your host, EBay".  There would be, no popcorn maker for me though,  I was banking my leftover. 

It worked so well, I started dedicating one hour a week, on Saturdays to Ebay or craigslist stuff. I know there are people out there saying. “Reed, that is a short lived proposition. Eventually you only have the things you want and nothing to sell.”. Exactly! Now to get something new, I want, I will need to gauge the importance of what I have. I sold two really nice camera lenses and one of my various point and shoots to buy a new micro 4/3 camera. The micro 4/3 will easily replace the point and shoot and though I loved those lenses, I never used them. I sold my old 3d glasses and some cables to buy the new 3d glasses I wanted.  I even sold my cumbersome exercise machine on craig's list to get a wall mount for my bedroom TV.   In two of the three cases I upgraded what I had, for the third, I upgraded my space.

This game isn't for everyone, but it's fun upgrading you life while downgrading your clutter.



No comments:

Post a Comment