Wednesday, October 10, 2012

That's My Girls

Lizzy and I were on our way back from getting dinner when we saw a sign on a van, next to a building. The sign stated, “Party In Here.”. Lizzy put on a sheepish grin and said, “It must be a very small party, in the back of a van.”. After seeing me laugh, Lizzy continued, “There's not much room to dance but the sound system is kicking.”. She then laughed and said, “It must be tough to dance, because the dj can't mix radio stations.”. We laughed the whole, short distance home.

It is amazing seeing your children's personality's blossom through the years, It's touching when you realize how much you have helped shape it. I've often said that Lizzy was much more like me growing up.  At ten, she is still shy around people until she, 'get's to know them'. It's nice to see her develop a sense of humor around the same time I did and I hope it will serve her, as well as it has me. I think my odd sense of humor helped break the shell of shyness that I blamed on my deafness, well into my teen years.

Emily has always been more of the social butterfly. If Lizzy is like younger me, Emily is me at a much older age. If she ever was shy, it was short lived. She developed the odd family sense of humor early and also her daddy's silver tongue.

Most people reading this blog didn't know me when I was younger. Some don't know me well now but the ones that do, find it hard to believe that I was ever shy. Here's hoping Lizzy breaks out earlier than I did and that both girls continue their journeys with a wonderful, odd sense of humor.

1 comment:

  1. I must not have known you young enough because I never knew you shy!

    ReplyDelete