Monday, October 29, 2012

Waiting for the Storm.

Hurricane Sandy is on her way up the east coast. Interesting how this real weather threat is playing out vs. the typical slow news day storm.  The combination of full moon and tidal swells, make Sandy potentially very dangerous. I spent the day preparing, securing items in my yard and waiting for the storm. My phone rang off the hook with friends and relatives on the other end, wondering about the conditions. Several friends even offered me a place to stay in case of evacuation or loss of power.

I finally got the Escape back from Ford yesterday after five months of repair (Actually just waiting for a part.). It is really good to have my car back. It only took several calls to Ford and one call to the consumer protection agency.

I digress.

While waiting for the storm, I laughed to myself.  It took five months to get my car back and now one day later, a hurricane comes to potentially wipe it out with a tree limb or float it down the highway to another locale.

Looking around at the neighbors' yards under the dark clouds and intermittent drizzle, I thought of the everyday storms we face in life.  Some people wait with anxiety;  others overly prepare; the wise ones are ready but not anxious.

I stepped from the porch into the cold mist and let it envelop me. I closed my eyes in a moment of out of body meditation.  The storm disappeared until I opened my eyes again.  I no longer feared the storm. I embraced the adventure it would bring. Good or bad, I could not change it and therefore, would not hesitate to let play out.

1 comment:

  1. Some of us move to Arizona and enjoy sunny skies and 90 degree temps and watch your storm on Tv in shorts and tee shirts....

    ReplyDelete