Friday, December 28, 2012

Bird Pictures and Alligator Attacks.

One of the great things about hiking in NJ is that there are very few animals that could kill you. Yeah, there are bears and wolves but they generally avoid people. The snakes usually aren't poisonous or aggressive. 
So when I started hiking the trails in S.C., I was surprised to see signs pointing out varieties of alligators.  I decided to look up suggestions for dealing with alligators on trails.
  1. Do not to approach alligators. OK, that made sense.
  2. Do not feed the alligators. Really? What would you feed them? Body Parts?
  3. Do not tease the alligators. How do you tease an alligator? What if an alligator thinks me turning and screaming, like a girl while running away, is teasing?
  4. Alligators can sprint 20mph on land, not to worry, it is only for a short distance. O.K.,if this is supposed to make me feel better, epic fail. My guess is that the definition of a short distance is the distance between me and the alligator's mouth.

    For now, I'll watch my step and try to avoid dangerous predators.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment