Saturday, June 22, 2013

All Things Deserve a Chance.

 
It was a sweltering hot morning in the neighborhood, Lizzy was over and as we went out back to play, a neighbor made us aware of a bird that had fallen out of it's nest. As we walked down the back alleyway, there it was, a young bluejay. It tried to fly but did not know how.   After watching it get to the shade, we were satisfied that it would be OK and made our way back to the yard. A half hour later and Lizzy was ready to go back inside. Another neighbor came out and hearing the news went down the alleyway with me to make sure the young bird was OK. The neighbor grabbed a small bowl and filled it with water for the scared little creature.

After some research on the net, I found out that young birds rely on their mother for food and drink. Going back to the bird with my neighbor, we sprayed water from a bottle to try and get the bird to drink. The bird eventually realized the trick and opened it's mouth for the oncoming water.


After fifteen minutes, we walked back to our houses. On the way back, I saw several cats in the area and made a command decision. I called the local humane society. In their normal, uncaring manner, they told me the welfare of small animals, “was not their concern.”. I realized I needed to call an organization that would be more responsible in rehabilitating the young, flightless bird. I called the local SPCA. The lady asked if I could bring the bird to them without injuring it. I was pretty sure I could.
 
I called to Lizzy to find a small box and in a short time we were standing in front of the frightened baby bird. With gloves on I reached down, gently scooped it up and placed it in the box.  Lizzy held the box while we drove to the SPCA. The bird stayed still on the ride.


When we arrived at the SPCA, a woman greeted us at the counter and explained that a handler would raise the bird until it was ready to survive in the wild, on it's own. We left a donation, walked through the animal adoption area and made our way back to the car.
 
I don't know what possessed me to help that little bird. Everyone who knows me understands my malcontent towards bluejays. When I looked at Lizzy's face on the way home though, I began to understand. I knew I had to show Lizzy that compassion had to be blind and nonjudgmental.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, you saved a little creature. I love your last sentence. You done good, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete