Friday, August 23, 2013

Making History On The Navesink.

I spend a lot of time road tripping to local 'attractions' in N.J.. This past weekend, the kids and I went to Twin Lights Lighthouse in the Highlands. Yes, I'm sure I have more blogs about it, we go there often. This blog is not so much about our trip as it is about 'The Pledge of Allegiance.'. Bet you didn't see that coming.


It turns out the dedication of our nations pledge was done at the Twin Lights, in 1893. Naval vessels from all over the world awaited off shore. For the occasion a large flag was hoisted 135 feet up into the air on a flagpole dubbed the, 'Liberty Pole'. In reverence, the words, “I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the Republic, for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”, were spoken, for the first time, as our nations official pledge.
It was no mistake having it at the lighthouse overlooking the Navesink. The Twin Lights are on the highest point of land on the Atlantic Coast. This made them the first sight to greet weary travelers looking for a new start, in a land of opportunity, as they approached New York Harbor and Ellis Island.
I love finding little historical factoids out about places. Living in NJ, it's not hard. You can't travel far without finding a location where something historical has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment