Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Best exchange of words in a supermarket ever.

A well dressed middle aged woman in front of me, paying with a Government Food Card (Food Stamps?) looked arrogantly at the 60+ year old cashier and blurted, "I don't have to use this, my husband makes a LOT of money.  My friend showed me how easy it was to get one of these though and I guess it is becoming the fashionable thing to do."

The older cashier without missing a beat fired back at the woman in a kind voice, "I don't have to work here, I'm retired with money in the bank.  I got tired of all my friends and family asking to borrow money because they couldn't get work.  So to prove a point, I came to Supermarket Name, applied and they hired me.  Now I'm here because it sends the right message."

The well dressed woman grabbed her bags and grimaced while leaving the store. 

1 comment: