Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How Many Journalists Does It Take to Screw Up a Light Bulb?

Bad Mod, even if it did only take 5 minutes.
I read an article “House Republicans: Down with squiggly light bulbs “ By JIM ABRAMS
Associated Press. (Link here, as long as it works).  This is one of those articles that is so slanted left, my guess is that Jim walks around bent over, ready to take it at all times.
The article is about a law passed during the Bush/democrat house era, that forces higher energy efficiency of light bulbs. Jim basically says how the Republicans do not understand the impact on the energy costs of the bulbs.

Jim, calls out Rep. Joe Barton, R Texas for saying "If you are Al Gore and want to spend $10 for a light bulb, more power to you,", and says that Barton exaggerated the cost of most energy efficient bulbs. Really Jim? Are you that far out of touch that you should be a politician? Have you ever actually purchased or used one of these 'Energy-efficient' bulbs? My guess is no! The L.E.D.s cost approx. $35 each for a 60w equivalent(brightest available at Home Depot) and 100w equivalent cfls run about $8 each (For full spectrum, non-subsidized).

Jim then goes on to say... 'The White House says the standards drive U.S. innovation, create manufacturing jobs and reduce harmful greenhouse gas emissions.'. Hey Jim, where are those manufacturing jobs being created? In the U.S.? No you idiot, China, Japan, Over-seas-istan, anywhere OSHA can't dictate stupid rules that harm businesses and destroy jobs. Don't see you calling the White House out Jim. Oh, and about Green House gas emissions and the environment, where do you mention the environmental hazards of cfls? If they break, they release poisonous gasses into your house and the atmosphere, not to mention the amount of Mercury they use and the dangers in manufacturing them.

To top it all off, Jim then talks of an advocacy group that has quotes from Thomas Edison's(inventor of the incandescent bulb) great-grandson and great-nephew saying, they support the new standards. Really Jim? What have these 'kin', as you put it in your article, invented? I have ancestor that invented things too. Am I a legitimate source to quote about them? Not even close.

Don't worry Jim, I'm almost done with you. The majority of bulbs in my house are L.E.D.s, the remainder are CFLs. Why Jim? I believe in the technologies. I don't need someone forcing me to buy something I do not want to because, they feel, it is better for me. If you like this law Jim, why don't you ask the government to do it right? If we want to talk efficiency, outlaw all cfls in favor of L.E.D.s, outlaw all L.C.D. and plasma TVs in favor of L.E.D.s and D.L.P.s and force, I mean pass a law against all non-rechargeable batteries?  I know why not, in your mind Jim, they(the politicians) are soooooooo much smarter than you. They can't trust people like you to make up your own mind and exert your ability to change the market. They need to force you, for your own good.

This issue is so much bigger than someone like Jim could understand. We (the people) subscribe to democracy and capitalism. The government and media need to learn what that means. It means that the people vote with their money. In the form of light bulbs, the free market holds an election. People vote on what they want, by buying one or more type(s) of bulb(s). The light bulb(s) that get enough votes(purchases), to continue to be sold, win.

I guess I ask to much when I ask for a non-partial, informative media.

P.S. If anyone knows what light bulbs are being used in the White House and what the cost of those bulbs were, please email me. I have not found any information after researching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment