Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Asking for it.

While driving home from North Carolina, I stopped for gas. I needed a pack of gum, so I decided to go into the attached shop. An attractive young Indian woman was behind the counter. As I searched the counter for something cinnamon, she noticed my confusion and stated, “You can usually get what you want, if you just ask for it.”. I looked behind me to see if she was indeed talking to me. There was no one else there, so befuddled I asked, “Excuse me?”. She gave me a warm smile and repeated, “You can usually get what you want, if you just ask for it.”.

It was a little macabre and prophetic. I asked, “Do you have any cinnamon gum?”. She said, “Yes, there is more gum in the first aisle and I believe there is cinnamon.”. I found the cinnamon gum and returned to the counter. As she rang me up, she smiled once again and asked, “Was that so hard?”. I smiled back this time and thanked her. I wasn't just thanking her for the gum, but also the little piece of wisdom that slips through the, 'living alone cracks'. When you live by yourself, you tend to rely more on yourself. Thanks to the clerk in the gas station I'll try not to forget to ask someone for help, when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment