Monday, September 24, 2012

It's Easier to Overlook Beauty and Continue On.

Do You See It?
I told the girls we would be going on a photo safari this weekend and asked them where they would like to go. Emily didn't care, but Lizzy wanted to go to, “The beach with the rocks on it.”. We arrived at the Allenhurst fishing access and began walking towards the beach.

To our surprise, a path had been cut into the rocks, so getting to the beach was easier. The three of us got down to the beach with little issue and began walking along the rocks, instead of the shoreline. A few steps towards the open beach and I saw something moving in the sand. It was about the size of a nickel and quickly disappeared but I knew it was still there hiding. I stopped the kids while my eyes raced across the sand, hoping to get a glimpse of the hidden treasure below. A few seconds later, the movement began again. The kids and I leaned closer to see a miniscule crab, with impressive camouflage, sitting still on the beach. Cameras poised, we took a few shots. Emily and Lizzy were amazed that I had found the hiding crab. Lizzy even asked, “How do I know that I'm not stepping on crabs while I walk down the beach?”.   I thought, we step on plenty of crabs while walking on the beach, we only get to enjoy the ones we take the time to see.
Same Picture As Above!  Cropped In To See The Crab.
Changing our path, to the shell line, we continued down the beach. As if wished into existence a sand dollar washed up several inches in front of me. As I poised, with camera, for a quick shot another wave reached out to grab the shell back.  I was too quick and snatched it from it's watery grasp. Emily was annoyed, she often says she wants to find a sand dollar but never finds one intact. I explained to Emily that it is easy to see the beach as a whole; focusing on the smaller things is infinitely more difficult.
Emily's Picture of the Sand Dollar.

No sooner did I get done speaking, when another smaller sand dollar seemed to materialize in front of me. I laughed and picked it up to show the kids. We continued down the beach taking pictures of waves, shells and rocks. As we walked back up the sandy hill to the car, I realized, it is easier to continue on as you always have done, than to change your path and see the beauty that is waiting for you. Easier, not better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment