Friday, November 16, 2012

A Memory To Trump All Others.


 Somehow I got the days of the last few posts screwed up. I think 'Hurricane Sandy Halloween' was supposed to be part of Tuesday. I wrote two entries that day at two different times and time during the outage was only delineated by day and night.

Wednesday(Halloween) morning, comcast, at&t and the storm all seemed like bad far off memories. I drove to see the kids, they were freezing. They hadn't used the gas fireplace at the house because the pilot light had gone out long before the storm and no one could figure out how to light it. I lit the pilot light and played with the kitten for a little while. Lizzy decided to come back to the co-op with me. We stopped at mom's to see if she was OK. She was fine but was going to need food for her dog by the weekend.

Lizzy and I got back to my place as it was starting to get dark. I explained to her that we had to ration the battery backup, so we decided to only use the lamp light from 7:30 – 9:00p.m.. We made cocoa with all of the candles and flashlights lit. At lights on, we grabbed a deck of playing cards and I taught Lizzy the game of Trump.

I explained to Lizzy that the game of Trump was taught to me by my Nanny. As a child, I would stay with my Nanny when I was sick and my mom had to work. Trump was my favorite game and I would ask her to play it over and over again.

I was glad that even though the storm took so much, it brought back so many great memories. Lizzy loved Trump and we played several full games until it was time for lights out. I found my extra Italian military blanket and Lizzy got ready for bed. In honor of Halloween, I read her Poe's 'Mask of the Red Death' by flashlight and she went to bed.

I went downstairs and washed dishes by candlelight while I relived old memories and planned on making new ones with a photo safari in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment