Saturday, May 29, 2010

Information Overload?


I'm not talking about the commercials where people hear a word and go off on a tangent, I have my own tangent. I started thinking as I began to read other peoples blogs, I like this, it is fun, entertaining, heartwarming. I enjoy reading things that other people write, just as much as I like writing my own.

Great, the mailman is here, I go and get the mail and the current edition of Popular Science, National Geographic, Maxim, VAR Magazine, CRM, the local mini-paper and various advertisements are in it. I'm not the fastest of readers, I tend to savor the English language like some people savor wine, I inhale it, I swirl the words around my mouth and on occasion spit them back out in front of a like minded audience. So how in the hell am I going to read all of this material, in addition to all of the stuff I normally read on the Internet and the stuff I have to read for work? I'd be awfully drunk on words!

I try to prioritize things, but as it would happen as I begin reading the first item, it becomes an immediate priority and I HAVE to finish. Wordwine does not age well and once the cap is taken off must be consumed. So now it's like 3a.m. in the morning, as usual, I'm up drinking in more words than my ape brain can handle. I fall asleep for a while and when I wake up a few hour later, the words in front of me have not transferred from the media to my brain, wouldn't that be great, I'd have a stack of books on my head all day draining tidbits into my scalp. The problem is, now there is an urgency , at least to me, to finish the last of the grapes of knowledge, humor, technology, business, etc. from the words in front of me. I tell my brain SLEEP, Please!. My brain replies FEED ME! I can't ignore it any longer. I rub the sand from my eyes and replace it with imaginary toothpicks. I drain the last of the words and try to get back to sleep.

I know what everyone is thinking, just cancel some of the subscriptions. I do that on occasion, but the thirst grows exponentially and I find myself filling the vacuum with more blogs, more books, more internet news.

Hello My Name is Reed and I have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment