Sunday, May 30, 2010

Peanut Butter on an English Muffin vs. The Best Seafood in the World.

This actually happened about six months ago, but it still makes me laugh. The partners at my company were having our annual dinner in the city at the Chinese Seafood Palace. The restaurant is AMAZING. You literally pick out what you want in the tank and they pull it out still live. The next time you see it, it is on a plate cooked to perfection and ready to enjoy and inhale. To understand how good this seafood is, I have tried seafood throughout the gulf, on the west coast, throughout the eastern seaboard and for the majority of my life have lived less than 5 miles from the beach in NJ. That being said, normally I would give the advantage to the west coast seafood, but nobody beats The Palace.

Back to the story. While standing in line at the supermarket, it is one week to go and I'm already warming up my taste buds. I am planning and awaiting the occasion to drive to the city and have an unbelievable seafood dinner. Just the thought is making me feel like, “Yeah, I don't care if the lady in front of me in the express lane does have 50 items.”.

Then CRASH, out of nowhere, my fantasy is ruined by the ring of my cell phone. One of our clients really needs training and is requesting it on the same day as the dinner. I think quickly and try to reschedule. They are really cool clients, so I can't refuse when they tell me that they only have all the people together for that day and they'll all be at a show the following week. I think to myself, they are west coast, they get awesome seafood all the time. If I said that I would have felt guilty, because they probably would have scheduled as a courtesy to me. I couldn't eat guilt fish.

The day of the dinner comes and I am bummed, I finish the class a little early and am hanging out in the co-op with visions of Monster Crab swirling in my head. I figure, what the heck, I have work to do and start typing away.

My loving partners email me to tell me that they got to the restaurant late, so I probably could have made it. Now I hate the world, need comfort food. I pull out the ,Thomas's Sandwich English Muffins and a jar of Skippy Super Chunk. Within 5 minutes I have a toasted English muffin peanut butter sandwich, one of my favorites, since I started working at home.

Another email from my partners, telling me the scallops in the shell (my favorite), are perfect. Screw them, I have my peanut butter and Thomas's, beside I may not win, but my monkey brain can still sling some poo at them. I grab my iphone and try to put on a happy face. Pointing to my soon to be dinner, I snap the shot and email it to all of them.
They send back a shot of three, huge lobsters...
I sling more poo...

No comments:

Post a Comment