Monday, August 27, 2012

Tick... Tick... Tick...
























I was out golfing the other day; though I was barely in the rough must have come in contact with something. I started itching before I even left the course and that evening, as I prepared to take a shower, found out what that something was. A tick had latched on to my umm... errrr... genitals (For younger readers, genitals are not non-Jews, but part of the anatomy). It's a disturbing site to see a tick on your testicle (Once again for younger readers, not a tougher quizzical, but part of the same male anatomy). So I sat there staring at my family jewels, which at the moment had a tick, so I guess they were more like family watches.

I digress...

So I pull a baby deer tick off of me. Yes, I know it was a deer tick. Living in New Jersey, we are out numbered by ticks, 5,143,989,383 to 1; Jerseyans can identify most types of hard ticks by sight, smell or sound. Also, I know there is a name for 'baby' deer ticks but even if I looked it up on the internet, most people know I would not have that information off the top of my head, so I'll just call it a 'baby tick'.

Anyway, I throw it in the sink and leave the hot water running for like five minutes. Why it had to be hot water, I do not know. I assume cold water will flush a tick down the pipes and drown it just as fast but I wanted to make it suffer. I probably should have kept the tick in a plastic bag, in case of disease or infection but keeping a tick bagged in your freezer, makes neither a cool trophy nor a tasty quick dinner choice.

It's two days later, and I have a typical tick bite welt. It still itches, but is getting better. Thank goodness green tea and honey are great antihistamines.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it typically takes about 24 hours for the tick to transmit Lyme but you might want to get on a prophylactic dose of antibiotics just in case because it's easier to wipe out now than later. Only 30% of people ever develop the bullseye rash though.

    (Laughing at the "younger kids" alert, lol!)

    ReplyDelete