Tuesday, September 7, 2010

To My Backyard Laborers on Labor Day

While chasing a hummingbird moth, I realized I tend to ignore the various types of bees that live and work in my back yard. They go about their daily business so efficiently it is not hard to miss them buzzing about. I love bees. I know most people complain about them, but to me they are something special. They do the grunt work of pollinating the flowers and giving us amazing landscapes. They are evolutionary soldiers in the battle to keep plants moving forward. They are buzzing scientists in natures crossbreeding laboratory. There is the argument that other insects perform these functions, but none do it with the ease or of the magnitude of bees.

Do they sting? Is a woman who drinks Jack Daniels the best kind to pick up at a bar? The answer is, YES! They only sting though when they perceive a threat or are drunk on the sweet fall plant nectar. Oh, and when you set off your camera flash two feet away from their face. So this morning I decided that I would spend some time shooting and running. The bees did not disappoint. The amount and variety showed natures true breathe of diversity. In just one type of insect, there are so many variations.

I would take a few shots and ward off attack. It's times like these I wish I hadn't damaged my long range lens, but I'll rectify that situation shortly.

For now the bees remind me that hard work pays off in bushel and bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment