Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday Tip For Living Alone #4 - Repair Victories

When you live with other people, you fix something and move on, when you are alone, every repair is a celebration.

I'm not sure whether it is because, when you are alone, you don't have the constant nagging and complaining and need to rely on your own motivation or whether it is the ability to celebrate the little things without fear of someone seeing you look outwardly silly.

I've owned two houses and did the majority of the work on both of them, even fully automated my first house without even a high five.

So where is this going?

My toilet began running several weeks ago. I decided that rather than have a huge water bill, I would fix it. I quickly deduced it was a faulty flapper valve. It's a real simple repair. I ran down to the local Lowe's to pick a new one up. Lowe's actually sells them in 5 packs. Who has five toilets that's flapper valves all go at the same time?  I had a toilet that needed the flapper valve replaced once a year at my last house and it still wouldn't warrant buying a five pack to save a nickel a piece.

Well, after about thirty seconds of repair work, the toilet was back in commission. I was so happy, I did a happy dance and flushed the toilet over and over. I went downstairs, got a beer, went back up and toasted my toilet with several more flushes. By my celebratory nature you would have thought I had repaired the Sistine Chapel.

I'm sure when I get my water bill, the celebration will be a sour memory.

The tip for the day, celebrating life's little victories is fine, just think before you flush.

No comments:

Post a Comment