Friday, December 3, 2010

The Best Seafood In The World


Last night I went to dinner with my partners to the Oriental Garden Seafood Restaurant in NYC. I've always referred to this place as the Chinese Seafood Palace. I don't know how that name got into my head, but it did and it stuck. I know I've been doing a lot of rants lately, but this is going to be a rave. If you want a rant go to the last posting that mentioned this place, here, Peanut Butter on an English Muffin vs. The Best Seafood in the World.

There is no place in the world that does seafood as great as this place. The fish is all kept live in tanks up to the moment they cook it, just minutes before it hits your plate. The shrimp is cooked with the head still on, though a turn off to some, no need for alarm; you can pop the head off, just like the tail, with a good pinch. The flavor of the shrimp is indescribable, so I'll just say, heaven is a place where you could eat them all day. The scallops are visually stunning, served on the shell with an amazing sauce and noodles.  I've eaten many different dishes there and can sum up every one of them by saying, spectacular.

I wish my kids liked seafood and as soon as they show interest, I am going to take them to the garden. It may ruin any other seafood for them, but at least they will be able to say that they have had the best seafood in the world.


Besides the amazing culinary skill of the chef, the scale of these fish (pardon the pun), is not to be believed. Crabs that have better than 3ft claw spans. Hardy shrimp, Horror movie sized lobsters, Oysters that could be a meal each. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw the giant nautilus from the original Doctor Dolittle, cleaned, cooked, plated and on it's way out of the kitchen.

If you are a seafood lover or want to be one, you have to go to the Oriental Garden Seafood Restaurant. It is located in Chinatown across from the police station on Elizabeth Street. You'll see the fish tanks in the window. Tell them Reed sent you, they'll have no idea who your talking about, but I've always wanted to say that, so tell them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment