Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tuesday Tips for living alone – A Wii bit Crazy

I took my first tennis lesson this past week. I've been talking about taking lessons for a while, but never really got the oomph to start. Thankfully, a really good friend bought me a lesson at the local racquet club as a Christmas gift. I like taking sports lessons.
The first thing you learn when taking a sports lesson is that you need more lessons. This isn't usually a product of instructors wanting extra money, more the byproduct of poor body mechanics and the counter-intuitive nature of most sports.
When I was younger I took bowling lessons and I'm pretty good at that. I took a couple of golf lessons and I still suck at that. I'll take more golf lessons in the spring, but tennis can be indoors or out, so it makes a nice winter sport. I hope to stick with tennis lessons and am going to schedule one every two weeks.
Tennis and sports really aren't the point of this post though.  It is about something the instructor told me to do. He said, in order to get my muscle memory in tune, I should practice my swing at home without a racquet making sure the blinds were closed, so that no one would think I was crazy.

I laughed maniacally. People think me crazy? 

I leave my blinds and curtains open all of the time. I bought my co-op because of the amount of light that comes into the rooms at any given point of the day. When I do my dishes, any passerby gets a concert. They get to see me dance, sing out of tune and fling suds all over. At night, all of my neighbors can watch me walk around my den, like a dog preparing to sit while I look for my tv remote, cell phone, keys or fill item in here. On nights when I really can't find an item, they watch me fling pillows in the air and pick them back up, cursing to myself the whole time.

I'm guessing someone watching me would think playing air tennis was the least of my ailments. Even so, I came up with a simple solution. It was an epiphany, of sorts, as I watched my kids play wii this weekend. You can do any stupid thing at all with a wii controller in your hand and people will dismiss it as playing some cool video game.

I now sing to my wii controller while doing dishes, practice my golf swing with my wii controller in hand and even pompously jump in front of my window while practicing wii-mote tennis.

Now if I could just find my wii-mote, I wouldn't have to toss my pillows so often.

WARNING!  Using wii controller at home prevents you from looking crazy, using wii controller in your car, on the beach or in any other public setting has the opposite effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment