Monday, May 30, 2011

Sad Memorial Day - 2011

     I put up a new flag for Memorial Day and began reading on the internet about different Memorial Day 'festivities'. I also began thinking of the whole concept of 'Happy Memorial Day', it's kind of an oxymoron. There is nothing happy about Memorial Day.
     Memorial Day, we honor the greatest of our dead, our fallen military heroes.  On Veteran’s day, we are to honor our Veterans. Everyday of the year we should thank God for the brave men and women of our military who keep us safe and make us proud.
      With that thought in mind the kids and I did not go to the parade this year. I failed to find out about the military service up the road until it was too late, so we watched several episodes of, 'America: The Story of Us.'. It's a well done series, that though left out a lot of crucial facts, shows how through blood of soldiers and ingenuity of it's people, America forged itself.
      It is sad to me that we consider this a 'happy' day. Until this year, I never gave it much thought. It had always been a day of hot dogs, hamburgers and the unofficial start of the summer season. Now I realize this should be a day of honor and respect for those who served and gave their lives as well as their families who made the ultimate sacrifice.
      It doesn't matter how old you are. You are never to old to learn or gain understanding. The kids and I talked a lot about the meaning of Memorial Day. I think some of the impact was lost. In a way I'm glad, the last glimmer of innocence has not been smitten by the realities of adulthood. They may be embarrassed when we drive by the local fort and I honk my horn 'in support of our troops', but I hope, when they get older, they will remember and understand that you can hate the war, not the soldier. I also hope they realize the sacrifice and sanctity of dying in the service of your country for the hopes and dreams of your fellow man.

We Honor Those Who Have Fallen For Us and God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment