Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Escape(ing) to Normalcy

The early part of my day was spent working, so at 4:00p.m. I decided it was time to clean my Ford. Between road trips, hikes, shopping and various sports trips the Escape had become filled with, well, life.  I started by emptying out my golf clubs and Lizzy's batting trainer.  I continued with my golf shoes, softball glove, bowling bag and a bathing suit.  After five more bags of stuff, it was time to sort through everything and put it out or put it away.  Looking at everything on my living room floor. The task seemed daunting.

I dug in and created piles based on the final destination of the items.  Strangely, a lot of the items were in a, back to the car, pile. I should have expected the distribution, I have two objectives when outfitting my SUV.
  1. End of the World... well not really, I just like to think, if there was ever an issue and my Escape was nearby, it could be a make shift ambulance/ survivor center.
  2. I've been working on being more spontaneous, sadly in my mind the best way to be spontaneous is to be prepared.
    To satisfy objective one, I have...
  • three types of sunblock
  • two types of insect spray
  • two tubes of triple ointment
  • four bottles of disinfectant
  • baby wipes, flush-able and non
  • paper towels
  • two classes of power inverters
  • four different pain relievers
  • AA and AAA batteries
  • two flash lights
  • re-usable shopping bags
  • two sizes of Ziploc bags
  • bandages
  • bungee and ratchet straps
  • a seven year old can of fix-a-flat
  • a tire repair kit
  • Duct, masking, electrical and packing tape
  • an electric inflator
  • a case of bottled water
  • a box of granola bars
  • various tools.
I think out loud, 'Objective one, mission accomplished!'.
Oh, who am I kidding? Complete overkill, Epic Fail.
    To satisfy objective two, I have...
  • sporting equipment for sports I don't even play
  • changes of clothing for trips that range from Tatooine to Hoth, the ice planet
  • a can of AXE
  • two folding camping chairs
  • a book of wedding ceremonies
  • a kite
  • three gps devices
  • an extra pairs of glasses
These things seem to take spur out of spur of moment.

Deep breath... command decision.  I always talk about minimalism.   It's time to practice what I preach.   I move everything from the, back to the car, pile to the put away and throw away piles.

Another deep breath... a moment of meditation... a realization of having a clean car... the world seems right again.

1 comment:

  1. "Changes of clothing for trips that range from Tatooine to Hoth, the ice planet" haha!

    I like to keep stuff in my car too but it helped me to organize it. I have all my car stuff in a bin, and then workout gear in a bag. (Unfortunately I have to squeeze all that in around the craft fair tables & chairs, which make no sense to me to haul in and out of my house hence I keep them in the trunk.) If I ever get stuck on an ice planet I'll be in trouble though.

    ReplyDelete