Saturday, October 30, 2010

Allhallows Eve.

To me, there is no holiday greater than Halloween. I will argue it with anyone. I know most people like Thanksgiving or Christmas, or Passover, but those holidays are reflections of things you cherish, have, or have done. The gifts if any are for those, or from those, closest to you. It's relatively easy to be thankful for those closest to us and we should be everyday. The problem I have with these holidays is this. You reflect, You remember, You give, You receive, you, you, you.

Halloween is the only religious holiday in which people of all creeds and all races give freely of themselves to others, mostly strangers, with no expectations in return. Wouldn't it be great if everyday we would give a stranger in need something they wanted or needed, just for uttering a three word phrase. It would not even have to be "Trick or Treat.", it could be as simple as, "Please help me.". Sadly though and I see this in myself, as we get older, the world hammers the lesson of getting taken advantage of into our brains. Cynicism becomes the religion of everyday detachment from the simple act of giving.

I'm not saying people don't give to charities or drives during many of the holiday seasons, I'm saying, that it is not enough. There is a big difference in giving to someone directly and paying someone to do it for you.

Happy Halloween

No comments:

Post a Comment