Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Trip To Memory Island - Final



It was evening and we had one more stop to make before we went to dinner at the Elk's Club. We arrived at Port Jefferson High School. My father had attended the high school and it was just how he remembered it. He went to the doors and as luck would have it, someone was there. I waited in the car for him. The trip thus far had been tiring on my eyes, so I closed them to give them a rest. About 20mins. later he emerged. The students had been practicing for a play and one of the faculty had told him that the Elk's had closed the year before
The whole trip seemed to have been a year late. We missed the old Lane's house by a year, the Stony Brook Museum by a year, the Elk's by a year. It shows how much difference a year can make.


I'm sure there are plenty of boys making childhood memories on the island now. If they came back in sixty years, I wonder how much familiarity they would find.

For now I take solace in knowing my father and I have an island of at least three more days of good memories to look back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment