Thursday, October 28, 2010

Would I Date Myself?

I was reading a great blog at 'Chelsea Talks Smack' when I asked the blogs question of myself. 'Would I date me?'. After weighing the argument, I think I probably would. I'm not saying I would not be challenging or that my perspectives aren't 180 degrees off of the main stream. I've just seen the competition and feel pretty good about it. That being said, I'd probably break up with myself shortly afterward and 'just be friends'. That seems to be my pattern.

I've said before that I have a macabre sense of empathy. When I watch a romantic movie, I don't rejoice for the hero who gets the girl, but feel sorry for the nice guy who gets left at the altar so that the hero, can get the girl. In real life, that guy has more in common with me than the lead character. I'm the guy who is Mr. Right Now, not Mr. Right. I don't see it as a self esteem issue, more as a personality flaw.

Being a hopeful romantic, I open the car door, pull out the chair, bring flowers and write poetry. For guys, these are terrible qualities. If you do any of these once for a woman, god forbid you EVER forget to. The first time you miss a door or a chair or don't bring flowers, women become irate and you suck. Women would rather have a guy who never does these things, then one who does them 'most' of the time. They want stability and predictability. On paper, I'm the guy women say they want; in practice, I'm the guy they break up with to find the guy who they said they didn't want. Strangely it works out for them.

The good news for me is that the above is a generalization. I'm sure there is a woman out there who would truly enjoy a guy with these qualities, just from my experience, they are few and far between.

Arguments as to why I wouldn't date me. I am neurotic. Not that you would get that from my blog. I have ever changing neurosis about things that most people would ignore. I am extremely goal focused. Once I am set on a path, I must bring it to it's logical conclusion unless of course a new goal is set in the mean time. Once a conclusion is met, I need another goal to occupy my thoughts or my mind will obsess on what cellphone to buy, all of the latest physics articles, politics or anything else that will eventually become an 'eye bleeding' research project on a moot topic.

I also have high expectations. I always go for the brass ring. I feel eventually, I'll get it. I expect a lot of myself and of others. I would go to the ends of the earth for the right person, but under my terms. Gone are the days of frivolous journeys to the land of broken heartedness. Will I make any changes to myself? Nope! I'm self confident enough to be who I am. I've learned now that changing to be the 'right' person for somebody means that I was the wrong person for them from the start.

Back to the original question. 'Would I date me?'. Yes, I think I'll ask myself out to dinner tonight.

Now, what to wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment