Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Rose By Any Other Name...

After posting, 'Lizzy's Brain', a few blogs ago, I thought I had something to explain. Whenever the kids do artwork we usually name the pieces, as a group, before they are put on the Frigidaire Museum. It started when Lizzy did a piece we refer to as 'The Scream...Of the Fly.'. Now we just rattle off names and if one sticks, we give it to the particular work. It's actually a lot of fun. Lizzy will, once in a while, sneak a new piece into the gallery without it being named.  That is usually short lived. By short lived I mean until Emily or I expose it. Emily's works get named too. Lizzy named the following, 'Zombie Balloon Ride.' It was one of those Paint-A-Canvas kits that Emily had worked on. I love those things. They are basically a small, cheesy piece of canvas(or sometimes paper) stretched over a frame. The canvas has the lines of the image and the kids just have to paint the colors to it. The first two they attempted as a kid's project turned out pretty well.

Much better than the design your own T-shirt kid's project fiasco in which my floor was painted blue and red with fabric paint. Emily's shirt came out well, Lizzy after having a real nice design done, decided, if the shirt looked good with a little paint, it will look great with a lot of paint. After pulling the paint-glued fabric apart and letting it dry, the shirt didn't need a hanger and stood up by itself. You would think fabric paints would have been designed to dry soft, like me, you would have thunk wrong. They also seemed to dry better to vinyl tile than to fabric. After scrubbing the floor to the point of near damage, I got it clean.
Lizzy's, 'Falling at the Brook.''
The kid's projects overall have been a big success. Lizzy has gotten interested in photography and Emily, well she is a teenager, I just hope she will continue to enjoy the different projects that we plan. I will post more from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment