Friday, October 15, 2010

Win, Lose and Draw!

When it comes to drawing or painting, I am artistically challenged. I can not do any artistic form that requires my hands to create what is in my head. I wish I was an artistic person. Sadly my ape brain thinks it's extremely artistic, but every time it tries to unleash art on the world, my hands turn into a 2 year old with a drug problem. I was even an excessive doodler at one point, but after people would see my work, the conversation would ensue.
“Reed, what did you draw?”
“It's a cow in a pasture.”
“Where's the cow.”
“Right there in the center of the page, it has brown spots and hay in it's mouth.”
“Uh, OK, Where's the pasture?”
I even bought some art 'How To' books. The only thing creative that came out of them, was the way I disposed of them.

I don't know what causes my brain, hand disconnect. I always feel like there is a great finger rebellion. Every time I want my hands to do something artistic, they give me the finger.

I used to think it was my nervous system just screwing with me. The brain would say, “Tell the hands to gently press on the tube of paint and put it on the palette.”. My nervous system would say, “Sure thing brain, your the boss.“. A moment later my nervous system would scream at my hands, “SQUEEZE!!!!”.

Luckily my children do not have the problem. Actually, no one else in my family does. Among other things, my grandmother was an established painter.

Someday, maybe I'll get my brain, my nervous system and my hands to articulate gray matter to canvas but for now I write.
Lizzy's Brain, Compliments of Lizzy

2 comments:

  1. That is the best drawing!! I love the expression, that is the soul of a sketch; everything else is just icing. What does the paper say?

    Also? I bet you'd surprise yourself with practice. I wish we were closer so you could take this drawing class with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Paper says, "Shuck Lied", Lizzy won't tell us who Shuck is. I love Lizzy's depth perception in her drawings, as a kid, I totally did not get that. (Hell, I still don't.)

    My doodles aren't as bad as they used to be. Then again, they couldn't be. I was actually kicked out of a drawing/art class in high school. The teacher recommended I take a different elective after the first week.

    ReplyDelete