Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Beautiful Day

Monday was a beautiful Indian Summer day, so at lunchtime I decided to take a hike. I ended up at Tinton Falls. I decided to trek the trails at the feeder of the falls first and work my way back to the falls proper. I pulled into the driveway of the historic Crawford house, an 1800s butcher shop and the entrance to the trails that rap around the stream and rapids. I walked past the slave burial ground that was uncovered several years ago and began to trek into the woods.

The paths are wide and many unique trees line them. I often see deer tracks, but have never seen any deer on the trail. The birds are deafening and the squirrels scurry as the water rushes quickly in a deep ravine. I followed the trail to where the grooming ended and decided to keep going up stream. Someone had placed a bench by the rapids, so I sat there for a few minutes watching the water react to the light.



I decided I needed time at the falls proper trails, so started back to Escape. Getting to the other side of the road and walking down to the falls was such a contrast. I left well groomed trails just 50ft away to pretty much make my own in the brush and tall grasses.

Today's goal was to go farther than I had previously gone. I took the usual route that cuts on an angle slightly away from the stream. Due to the change of season, the tall grass that impeded the trail was starting to brown and die, making it an easier path to travel. I got to the high spot that looks over the hidden pond. The pond was quiet except for the call of a hawk somewhere above.

I knew through the grass to the right, the narrowest part of the stream awaited. I was shocked when I got there to find that the water had subsided enough that I could cross. I had never been to the other side and was excited at the proposition of traveling new ground. There was no real path after I crossed, but knew if I kept going I would pick up a trail. Most animals go to the water and therefore leave some type of trails behind them.

I walked about 200 yards and weaved in and out of that area. I was in exploration mode. There were a lot of small creatures in that area and I could hear them scurrying about as I walked. I never have gotten trail fright. But with expanse palette of colors, textures, sound and smell, I was starting to experience sensory overload. I decided to narrow my field of view to a shorter distance and continue on. I waked for a couple hundred more feet when I saw something that looked like it may have been a dried up part of the riverbed. I moved towards it with the thought of using it as a trail to walk back towards the falls. The idea seemed feasible as I took my first step onto the bed. I looked down it and did a bearing check. Then I realized my foot was sinking. The top of the bed seemed dry, but deeper in the ground, it must still have been wet. I know better than to panic in these situations so I slowly pulled up my right foot, it was not in as deep. I stepped about one foot forward from where I left the indent and slowly pulled my left foot out. It was an amazing ground condition. It was solid when stepped on but slowly sank. It was not quicksand, more likely dry ground on an underground stream or water source.

I was too far in the woods to be playing on potentially dangerous ground. Especially when hiking alone. I decided I had accomplished my goal and needed to head back anyway. This was turning out to be a long lunch time. I headed straight for the crossing of the stream and began to slowly walk back.

One thing I love about the falls trail is the amazing variety of mushrooms. The colors and diversity of them is one of natures most overlooked gifts

I continued on the trail parallel nearly thirty feet from the water, I decided I wanted to get a picture of the stream, so I walked toward the water, I could hear the activity in the dried grass increasing. In the distance I spotted a box turtle and hurried my step.
As I reached the box turtle, I raised my camera and took e a shot.  I was only several inches from the water. Activity about a foot away beckoned my eyes to between me and the trail. It was a green and yellow Garter snake . It lifted it's 35 inches or so of body out of the grass, angled it's head towards me, spun around and slithered quickly away in the camouflage of the dried yellow grass. My heart had stopped, but now I could hear it pounding fast. I have run into five other varieties of snake while hiking and luckily have not been bitten. Garters are non-venomous, but from what I've read, their fang-less mouth still feesl like being hit by a bolt of lightning when their teeth connect with flesh.

The turtle now frightened by my movement, tucked his body into his shell. I had already broken one of my hiking rules by not paying attention while rushing through the grass to the turtle. I was not going to violate another by picking the turtle up and trying to coax him out of his shell. I always tell the kids that it is important that we leave nature the way we found it and not interfere. Our footprints should be the only changes we leave behind. It could be argued that I interfered with the snake and his turtle lunch, but a lesson was learned of rules I need to self enforce.

Walking back up the trail, I heightened my senses. I could hear birds and small creatures rushing through the grass, leaves fell disturbing the air and scratching other leaves as if to coax them into the trip to the ground.

I got to the edge of the trail and looked back in a gesture of goodbye, the 'wind controlled' trees waved in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment