Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lizzy's Rebuttal

My kids do not read my blog, but I do share with them items I feel appropriate. After posting Lizzy's 10 photographs. She began complaining about the clarity of the photos and that Emily had an unfair equipment advantage. She thought the pictures looked 'soft'. I don't know where she got the term from, but it may have been someone complaining about one of his lenses in justification of upgrading it. I shared the comments that people left and she was thankful.

So now I began to analyze the exif data and caught the little Fuji doing what downfalls most digital cameras on auto. It was raising the iso to insanely high values(800-1600) even in normal lighting conditions. I manually forced the iso to 60 and let the camera compensate. The picture clarity was of course night and day. So The kids and I went back to the brook Friday morning.

When we got home and looked at the pictures, Lizzy proclaimed that she wanted to redo her top 10 and asked if it was OK. I explained to the girls that the point of the exercise was to constantly challenge yourself and replace or rework your top 10. I have to admit, that after seeing the pictures, Lizzy was being limited by her equipment. I'm glad, unbeknown to her, that I got her a camera for her upcoming birthday. Now that the kids are interested in photography, I think I'll speed up the lessons and move more heavily into the manual settings of their cameras.

Look for Lizzy's revised top 10 next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment