Monday, August 2, 2010

Warning, Strange Phone Call Today.

I received a phone call today from 253-243-1516.  The person asked for me by last name.  He then proceeded to tell me he was from Microsoft and ask me if I used a Microsoft product.  Of course I answered, "Wow, how did you know?".  He replied that there was a virus outbreak in my area.  How exciting, a virus local to my area.  I knew this was a scam, but was shocked at the brazenness of someone trying to scam me that they would call my home number claiming to be from Microsoft.  Yes, I should have probably hung up the phone immediately, but I couldn't help but mess with this guy.

Let me give you a little background on myself.  I started programming at eleven years old.  I had my own bbs.  I can put together and take apart a PC or laptop with my eyes closed.  I can manually remove almost any virus and have manually removed many of them.  I have programmed in BASIC, COBOL, Pascal, Assembly, PERL, Sequel and several other languages.  I wrote my own editors, utilities, Screen Generators.  I've designed databases and countless systems.  I've worked with DOS, LINUX, UNIX, Windows from day one and had certifications in AD, Outlook and countless other things.  I could sadly go on and on, I am that much of a nerd.  I think you get the point though, so I will continue the story.

Now the guy on the phone who had a thick, maybe not even real, middle eastern accent says to get on my computer, go to Google and type "Team Viewer" into the search bar.  When the web page comes up and I see the Remote Access Software Download, I know where this is going.  He then says, "Download the software and I will show you on your PC where the virus is.".  Ok, so now I say, "I'm sorry, I don't believe in letting anyone have remote access to my PC.".  he says, "Hold on.", and with coaching from someone in the background continues, "Have you heard of the Malicious Jet Virus?".  I reply, "You mean the Jet Trojan?".  He gets extremely irate and with the coaching behind him begins yelling at me that my computer is unsafe and Microsoft is trying to help me.  Hey, I must be important if Microsoft singled me out.

I try a different tactic.  "I have friends who work at Microsoft.", I say.  The phone goes silent for ten seconds and with some prompting from behind him, he's back.  "Sir, I am here to help you, if you do not do this, the malicious jet virus will get you.".  I had to laugh at this, as if the jet virus is floating through the air waiting to be inhaled.  I say, "I'm pretty computer savvy, tell me how to look for it and I'll take care of it.".  Silence.   I wait a few seconds, "Are you still their?". The guy says, "Yes, just download the software and I will show you.".  It's getting tiresome, so I ask him, "Did you say you were from Microsoft?".  After another few moments of silence, "Buddy, are you still there?".  He says, "Yes I am!", and hangs up.

Well caller ID is a beautiful thing.  I call back the number, expecting it to be an unsuspecting victim whose number was hijacked.  Nope, a man answers the phone and asks if he can help me remove the virus from my P.C..  Wow, these guys have no shame.  I ask him what company he is from three times and all three times he answers , "We are representatives of Microsoft!".  Finally I tell him I know he is not from Microsoft and he gives me a bogus company name and promptly hangs up.


I quickly called a bunch of people to tell them to be careful of this scam.  I do not think people are ignorant, just trusting.  That is what makes what the scammers do so disgusting to me.

I called Microsoft to alert them of this fraud.   They confirmed I was not alone in reporting this scam and that they would be looking into it further.  I was going to leave it at that when my eldest daughter said I should write about it on my blog to warn people of the lengths that are taken by dishonest people.   Her statement hit me like a ton of bricks.  I wish I could tell my daughters that everyone is kind and can be trusted, yet I know in my saddened heart, I have a responsibility to prepare them for what they will run into in their futures.

2 comments:

  1. I've been on vacation and am half a dozen posts behind... but thanks for the warning. You confuse me, though... what exactly do you do? If you're so computer savy, and yet didn't you say you're in the fashion industry? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Build fashionable computers, just kidding. I'm a partner in a software company that specializes in systems for the shoe, apparel and accessories industry. Before that I ran the systems for a well known fashion retailer for approximately 11 years. That is where most of my corporate stories come from. I've held computer related jobs on and off since I was about fourteen, in the government and private arena. The irony is that at my company, I do no 'real' computer work; mostly sales, documentation, training and customer relations.

    ReplyDelete