Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Snapshots Of The Mind

I was sitting on my back patio working, when I looked up. I was awestruck by the perfect formation of clouds. The foreground was a series of 3d puffs hanging heavy on the sky. The curls and symmetry reminded me of giant, tightly packed cotton balls with their outlines dipped gently in light blue and silvery gray powder, just to highlight the edges. The clouds were covering the entire sky except for a medium sized triangle, where the suns light tried to press through the silver contrast of old photographs.

The next layer of clouds were wisps of spirits hovering across the great expanse watching the earth, you could almost hear them moan as they drifted between the openings of the first layer. These clouds were the spirits Charles Dickens wrote about in A Christmas Carol as Ebenezer peered from his window fearing what was awaiting in the night to come.

The background shown white and slightly fluffy. if not for the distance between them and the foreground, one could easily confuse them as a whiter version of the same. The three distinct layers occupied the space in sheer majesty.

Of course the feeble lens of my camera seemed miles away in my living room just beyond the back door. I paused to put the laptop down but realized by the time I retrieved my camera, the moment would be lost forever.

I did not have the right to shun nature's gift by missing one instant for the chance to get a meager photograph. No lens could have captured the incredible sight and even my eyes struggled to take as much in of the spectacular show as they could comprehend.

Some moments can be remembered and enhanced through photography others are better left as snapshots of the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment