Friday, July 23, 2010

Backyard Safari - Tiger

I watch a tiger in a tree size up a purple flower she'll call prey. She glides across the wind effortlessly. As she sees her mark, she makes her silent approach, legs out, proboscis quivering with anticipation. A second tiger appears awaiting stealthily in the green underbelly of the plant.

The two meet with clashing wings and swallow tails and with the skill of fighter pilots spiral ever upwards locking glances. A small tear in her wing and the first retires in defeat to a nearby mint plant. The other will enjoy the sweet nectar of victory until her next challenger arrives in a flutter of air. Then once again she will need to leave her perch in protection and for survival.

This was written while I was in pursuit of a yellow tiger butterfly. I hadn't gotten a decent picture of one, before writing this, but as I finished one obliged me by gliding overhead and landing in a butterfly bush at the edge of my yard. In my research I could not find anything about their territorial nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment