Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Library


Emily is a read-a-holic. You could say, she's a Page out of the old book, but the speed at which she reads indicates differently. She goes through books so quickly it's amazing. Today I had to go to the library for the second time in two days to pick up a book she ordered. I decided to get myself a book of Robert Frost's prose, I figured it would be interesting, seeing how much I love his poetry. Anyway, I look it up on the computer and find the number.

Here's where the fun begins. I realize since I've been coming to this library, I've been to the YA section, the FIC section and most of the other sections that start with letters, but now I have a number and I've only run into that in the reference section. So I rush there, find the supposed location of the book and though there are poetry collections, none by Frost. The book I'm looking for is not there. I go back to the computer and yup, "On the shelves", is to the right of the book title I'm looking for and several others by Frost.

I start thinking, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.", which is credited to everyone from Franklin (My hero) to Einstein but was really written by Annie Nonomous. Back at the same shelves again and guess what, the Frost books still aren't there. I start cursing the Dewey Decimal System and Donald Duck for having a middle nephew in the first place.

To the help desk. I'm there so often, they're beginning to know me by first name. I ask, "Uhhhm, Duhhh, I probably don't belong in a library because I can't find the books I'm looking for, can you help me?". The people behind the counters are so nice, they probably put up with stupid people like me all day. The librarian leads me to the opposite side of the library. Low and behold, the book I'm looking for is not there, but another Frost book I'm interested in is. She apologizes and asks me if I checked the reference section. I feel smarter now. She then tells me, "Next time you know what book you want, call ahead and we'll have it waiting for you.". I don't know whether this is kindness or they are just tired of showing me where books are. I thank the lady and walk towards the check out counter.

Now I think to myself, if there is duplication of the same number ranges in different locations of the library, there should be a BPS (Book Positioning System). You just punch a book title in and it will whisper in a semi-monotone voice, "Turn right in three shelves, shhhhh!".

They hand me Emily's book as I check out and I decide that it is probably easier, to just call ahead. While leaving the library, I wave to the statue of a boy sitting under a lion(lions must be great readers, they have them in front of so many libraries.). A woman looks at me funny, so I smile and run back to hold the door open for her. No need to be insane and rude.

1 comment:

  1. "I start cursing the Dewey Decimal System and Donald Duck for having a middle nephew in the first place." LOL!

    ReplyDelete