Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Herbs of Friendship.


As I look at my herb garden finally getting the rain it has so long deserved, I think of friendship. With the drought, I have not been able to water my plants and the tender leaves have begun to wilt. I know that some will not make it to a late summer salad or other culinary delight that they may have, had I had the time, energy or water to help them flourish.
  • I look at my Italian parsley, no matter how much attention I gave it, it would not return even a single sprig.
  • I then look at the dead cilantro that blossomed early, seasoned countless noodle dishes and died In a flowery end. It will need to be replaced before I will enjoy it's flavors again.
  • I look at my oregano, that without the proper care could not survive the lack of attention from me that was brought upon by nature and the fact I could not be there to help it along.
  • I then see the mint struggling and yet surviving. As the rain comes down on it. I trim back the dead leaves. It perks up immediately, welcoming me back with a familiar scent.
  • I look at the basil, my dearest herb. No matter the attention or lack of, I just add water and it is happy to see me again and provide me with aroma and flavors that enlighten my senses and enhance my experiences.
My friends are like these herbs. When I went through rough times and divorce, they faced a drought.
  • Some were like the Italian parsley that never produced.
  • Others like the cilantro that were there for a short while but would need to be replaced.
  • Even more were like the oregano that I did not have the time or energy for and so disappeared.
  • The most important friends, the mint and the basil, they welcomed me back. They understood what all the others didn't. It is not the friendships that require constant care, attention and time that last, but the ones that are built on the moments of water, the moments of attention and the moments of life.
I hate to steal from one of my earlier writings, but what keeps great friendships fresh aren't what they have, but what they don't. They have no expectations, no judgments, no condemnations, but above all, no apologies. These are the treasures of friendship that season the moments of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this and though I haven't gone through a divorce or anything similar, it still applies so perfectly to my own life. I'm constantly analyzing my friendships (or sometimes the lack thereof) and they can all fit into your herb categories. Sometimes I wish I had more mint and basil but I admit that those I have are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete