Saturday, July 3, 2010

The NuWave Oven


Anyone who knows me, knows I have a love for gadgets. Whether it be the roombas that do my floor, the now defunct robomower or the various kitchen and cleaner gadgets that are stored throughout the co-op. I normally stay away from those that are, “As Seen On TV”. By normally I mean except when it is late at night, I'm tired and watching TV and the item looks too good to be true.

So one late night/early morning I'm getting ready for bed at like 3:30a.m. and something draws me to the television set. I flip it on and sure enough, they are pushing the NuWave Oven. Through bloodshot eyes, I am amazed at the way this thing can cook from frozen state to amazing meal, “In No Time Flat”. It's now like 5a.m. and I need to be up for work soon, so I flip the TV off. Visions of perfect salmon flaking off with my fork and steak from the freezer, "So juicy, it looks like it came from a grill.", haunt my dreams.

The next day I begin researching it on the Internet. Wow, I can get one on sale at Home Depot for like $90, sounds like a deal. I then remember my friend who's life is “As Seen On TV” with all of the late night products he has bought. I'm so psyched when he tells me that he has one and he'll give it to me because he and his wife never used it.

I pick the NuWave up from his house that weekend and on the way home stop at the supermarket to get some steaks, chicken, flounder, burgers; my everyday bachelor chow is going to significantly improve. I get it home, plug it in and throw some plain chicken in it. I'll use it to make a batch of Chicken Pasta Alfredo for dinner. I follow the directions from the little time card, and when the time is up, bummer the chicken isn't ready. I give it a few more minutes and presto, the chicken is done. Esthetically, the chicken looks rubbery, so I grab a knife and WOW, the amount of juice inside is amazing. It tastes really good too, especially considering I didn't season it at all.

I've had it for several months now and have even rearranged my counter space so it has it's own spot. It air fries, cooks and reheats spectacularly, frozen fish is flaky, herb crusted chicken is crispy and reheated pizza tastes fresh. Verdict, the NuWave is excellent if you need to cook a meal for one to four people.

Now the funny part. My mind can not leave things alone(remember the part about the now defunct robomower). I start analyzing the NuWave oven. Wait, I've seen this technology before; a plastic enclosure with a heating element on top concentrating relatively low temperatures on food to cook it.
THE NUWAVE IS AN ADULT EZ-BAKE OVEN!!!!
I'm not saying it doesn't work, but now I feel like I killed the juggling monkey. The simplicity of it is beautiful, but the magic of it is gone. Kudos to the makers of the NuWave, Single people and small families salute you.

Just a quick statement. From time to time I will praise and bash different products. I am not paid by any of the manufacturers of these products, I just feel strongly enough(or bored enough) to write about them. That being said, if anyone would like to pay me to endorse their product it must adhere to the following criteria.

1.I must Love the product.
2.It must perform it's function perfectly.
3.I must get an awful lot of money.
Just Kidding!!! (or am I?)

No comments:

Post a Comment