Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sand Destiny


OK, when I started blogging, I promised myself I would post poetry at least once a week and now on month two, I have posted a whopping one poem from when I was like eighteen.

So today I'll post one from when I was in my twenties and at a family reunion in Destin, Florida. It was sunset, the beach was talcum between my toes. As I walked alone, I came across a sand castle that we had built earlier and took in it's last moments of defense against the rising tide and the breeze coaxed waves. I closed my eyes to shut out the red hued skies and the raw emotion of the moment took form in words.

Below is not the exact poem I wrote when I got back to the beach house (that one is lost in my archives somewhere), more of a subtle rewrite from my eroded memory hrmph years later. The original poem was not written for any woman in particular, but an ideal woman. I had hoped I would meet her and we could share the sunset walks of Destin beach together. Yes, I've always been a hopeful romantic and before it goes any farther, here is this weeks poem.

Sand Destiny

Sandcastle Memories forever on my mind
Slowly eaten away by the gentle waves of time

A cool summer breeze brings salt to the air
Color of ocean forever in her stare
The sun how it glistened through her long flowing hair
With eyes closed, I am almost there.

All of these things seem just out of reach
My Memories like sand, belong to the beach

3 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. I used to write poetry too. It was my form of counseling whenever I felt down. I haven't written anything in so long now. I think the last thing I wrote were my vows at our wedding. I guess I've been too happy since then. I've tried to write happy poems but they just don't flow like the sad ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry is raw emotion on paper, I think most people (me included) lock the happy poems in our hearts and our heads and let the sad poems out to paper.
    That being said, when I was a teenager, I wrote many a love poem and looking back on them now, realize just how bad they really were. I'm hoping it was just my age and if I needed to again, I could write something better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I used to write fantastic poems. I don't think I want to go back and read them only to find out otherwise. =)

    ReplyDelete