Tuesday, June 15, 2010

98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.


I wasn't feeling so brainy and footsy today. As I walked down the streets that were not marked towards the PATH train, I realized I was headed for the waiting place. Today I beat up on myself because of somethings I couldn't control and some that I could.

“But on you will go though the weather be foul. On you will go though your enemies prowl. On you will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl. Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. On and on you will hike. And I know you’ll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are.”


I thought to myself, “ No That's Not for You.” I continued to walk towards my uncle's apartment, where I'm staying while in New York. Getting there, a knot formed in my neck and I realized business trips can be lonely.

“All Alone!
Whether you like it or not, Alone will be something you’ll be quite a lot.”


The knot in my neck became worse and I started to feeling down.

“You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.”


I thought of posting one of my canned blogs or reposting an old one. (Only been blogging for one month though,)

Then the book my Step Mother gave me when I was 18 rang into my head and I realized,
“You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.”


So after writing an email to a friend and realizing I was starting to feel better, decided to write my blog tonight. The knot in my neck is still there, but slowly drifting away.

“You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.”


I'm sitting on my uncle's terrace in the greatest city in the world. The air is cool, the sky is clear and the “Empire State Building is shining white light down upon me. I'm almost done with the blog, why should I be upset? From where I'm sitting, the world looks pretty damn good!

“And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)
Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!”


The book the quotes are from is “Oh The Places You'll Go” by Dr. Seuss and everyone should read it. I think I'll go buy a copy tomorrow for my kids and write the inscription,
“Remember these words, they will guide you through your life!
Love,
Dad.”.
Why not just give them my copy? Mine's signed. Not by Dr. Seuss, but by someone whose advice I treasure and try to follow everyday, my Step Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment