Wednesday, June 9, 2010

That Which Defines Us, Is That Which We Define Ourselves By.


The sad truth is that we label ourselves based on that which we have done, not on our emotions, our dream, the moments of our lives. You never hear someone say "Hi, my names Fred, I love butterflies and share deep thoughts with my dog", people would probably lock him up. It's usually more like, "Hi I'm Fred, I'm a fireman, I'm married with a son.". I never really thought too much about this until I started reconnecting with old friends and realized I was writing them more about my job, kids and divorce than I was about myself. My description of my life looked like a poorly written resumé. It's hard baring your emotions and even harder putting to words who you are without doing it through titles.

It can take a lifetime to truly describe a moment and yet we try to take a moment to describe a lifetime.


Hi, my name is Reed, I'm a small business owner, am divorced, have two children and live in a co-op.

1 comment: