Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Speed Dating Part deux : The Date (singular)


Let me preface before I go any further, that the events from the last blog and this one took place at least a year ago.
So, my friend, the one from the speed dating calls me and asks which women I sent an invite to. I tell him none, he tells me I'm doing it all wrong, “Always pick three, that way at least one will go on a date with you.”. Now about my friend; he is a doctor who is not bad looking, has a full head of hair, is over 6” tall, works out and wreaks of doctor machismo. Going to a bar with him is like competing in a swim competition with Michael Phelps, sorry ladies, he's engaged now, and not to any of the women we met that night. So I figure I should probably follow his advice. I send an invite to the first three women. Now is the waiting game to see which ones picked me.

One, Two and Four picked me, holy crap. I don't know what I said, but it worked. I call my friend and he only had two hits. I can't let this opportunity pass me up, I bust his balls mercilessly. It's the only chance I'll ever get.

I contact two of the three ladies. Number one never gets back to me. O.K. Doc, you win. The second lady gets in touch with me and I think, should I be myself or prey upon the information I know about her? I decide if I'm going to start a relationship, it should be based on truth(yes, I really am that naive to believe it will work.)

We meet at a bar that I go to once in a while and we talk for a good 4 hours. She seems really nice, hey maybe this will work out. We kiss on the cheek goodbye and I tell her I'll talk to her the next day. I call and tell her it was a really nice “date”, she agrees we should do it again. That Saturday, I have the kid's softball game and her kid's have sports too. We communicate back and forth trying to schedule something, but our lives are too filled with kid's activities or she is being polite and not wanting to crush me, either way after three weeks, nothing comes of it.

Lessons learned:
1: I would probably try speed dating again, but would not run out to do it.
2: There are a lot of nice single women out there looking for someone
3. Some of them will even give me a shot.
4: Even though I've been out of the game for a while, I can overcome my fears, and should I choose, take on the dating scene.
5: I got more hits than Doc (Had to throw that in, just as a parting shot)

2 comments:

  1. From what my single friends have said, you just have to keep putting yourself out there, view every date with the wonder of meeting and connecting with someone even if you only turn out to be acquaintances, and revel in the richness of life itself. And then, someday...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently in passive relationship mode, I am having a good time being single and spending time with friends and family. People have been setting me up on dates and I've joined some of the dating sites. I'm more putting myself out with the prospect of a relationship, but not in hot pursuit. My philosophy is basically all things happen as and when they should.

    ReplyDelete