Thursday, June 24, 2010

Last Night Of The Business Trip


Ah, finally the last night of my business trip. The only thing I like more than coming to stay in New York on vacation, is leaving New York after staying on business. Last week was lots of fun and I got to see “11 Heavy Things” and travel the parks. This week was all work. When I wasn't at the clients office, I was at the apartment transcribing notes and preparing the system for the next day's class. I wanted to go to the Museum of Natural History, but just couldn't seem to find the time. Maybe tomorrow morning if I'm lucky.

The heat this week, really put a damper on my plans. The air was thick with moisture, you did not perspire, you simply went from dry to humidified in mere seconds. I did decide to venture out last night to take some photos for a project and to shop. I made the mistake of taking my point and shoot camera, so the pictures did not come out that well. The camera is designed to work under water though and the moisture in the air was that thick. I also stopped at the Japanese market for some tea and the Cheese Shop for some cheese.

People are always amazed when I tell them one of my premiere stops, while in the city, is a cheese shop, but this isn't just any cheese shop, it is The East Village Cheese Shop. It's a small shop a couple of blocks from the building where I used to work. It once only sold cheeses, but now it has also become a small specialty food store.

Walking into the small shop awakens my nose to a palette of unbridled colors, the strong blue of Roquefort and the subtle white of Regatta Salata caress my nostrils The other cheeses begin to creep into my brain stimulating me into a buying frenzy. The smell is not cheesy as you would suspect, it is an 'air of sophistication'. Their selection of cheeses is more impressive internationally than a role call at the UN and every animal from every country has sacrificed nursing it's young for me to savor these mystical delights. Three Pounds of cheese later, I embarked on my journey back to the apartment the outside air had seemed to solidify, but with my bounty in hand I was willing to take it on.

You would think I was some kind of cheese snob, but I'm really not. One of my passions is cooking though and as of late I have learned to enjoy good food. I've realized there is nothing in boxes (cereal is my one exception) or cans, that I can not make better with fresh ingredients.

If you ever are in New York stop by the East Village Cheese Shop, your nose and your taste buds will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment