Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Energy of Life.





I roped my business partner into going with me to see the art Exhibit of “11 Heavy Things” by Miranda July, last night. As far as interactive art, this is a really cool idea. It is eleven 'objects' scattered around Union Square park in NYC. I call them 'objects' because though interconnected by a common thread, some are very different from the others. As Al and I began to pose with, on and under them, other people saw what we were doing and started doing the same.








The objects are meant to be interacted with and we enjoyed finishing with one and walking to the next discovery that the exhibit was waiting to offer us. This is one of the things I love about the city. You can literally go out and be part of an art exhibit any time.






I was glad to see Union Square Park, really hopping. The farmers market was going on, dancers were dancing, musicians were 'musicianing', and people were flooding the area. I used to go to Union Square Park when I worked in the city, but by the end of my tenure, the park was starting to lose it's life. The energy there last night was spectacular, it was intoxicating-ly contagious and we stayed there until around 9:30p.m. when Al headed home uptown and I headed back to my uncle's apartment.



While walking down University Place, I decided to go to Washington Square Park, I hadn't been there at night in a long time and with camera in hand inspiration took hold. A short while later, I was there. The Arch has never looked better, a Saxophone player sat underneath plying his trade in the hopes that people would pay admission to his one man concert.
The fountain hypnotically whispered, inviting visitors to take a closer look, listen and feel. Once again, people were enjoying themselves and their surroundings, relaxing in a city known for the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I took the long way back to the apartment. My feet drank in the different road textures. I stopped momentarily to take pictures of objects not as common elsewhere. The irony of so many phone booths in a city where everyone carries a phone, was not lost on me. The residents know, NYC has an energy that can sometimes drain you, but on warm friendly nights like last, the energy of the city and it's people can impress even the greatest skeptics with a cool breeze and a warmness for all mankind.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard about this exhibit - want so badly to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I heard about it from a certain Spleeny friend and while in the city, decided to go.
    Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete