Sunday, June 27, 2010

Wampum Brook


I am into the whole photo safari kick, so I decided with the current heat I would go to Wampum Brook. The brook is located about a half mile from my house and though I've lived within five miles of it most of my life, have never formally ventured to the park there. I pull into the small parking area, the park is green, the trees are lush, the grass is spectacularly uniform, this looks like a photo safari dream. When I get out of the car the brook speaks to me in whispered tones. The air is different. Though I can see the highway and the houses that surround it, the water shimmers magically imprinting serenity on my thoughts.

Instinctually, I search for a trail that will take me upstream, but there are only trees and brush. The parts of the brook I can get to are by cement walkway and grass paths. I picked the wrong day to wear shorts and sneakers, next time I'll need pants and hikers. I walk and shoot around the easily accessible points. A sea monster size turtle pops it's head up out of the water and easily challenges the sparkling bead lined currents only to slide back beneath it's cover as I readied my camera. Rainbows lurk gently in the shallows, just beneath the surface. Birds and dragonflies play tag in a gentle breeze, momentarily stopping to land on a branch or blade of grass or a Lilly pad floating above it's tether.

My clothes are not the only thing I would have changed on this trip. I also did not bring the right camera lens, but none the less, it did the job. While walking back towards the car I take the bridge in front of the overflow-falls and notice a duck casually standing at the bottom. It is looking up at me and occasionally taking a quick bath under the narrow rushing water. There is a huddled mass next to it that my eye can not catch but my lens does. Seven ducklings converged into one form. The duck family has chosen an ideal home, it is cool at the bottom of the falls and provides food as the smaller fish are drawn past. When I start taking pictures, the proud parent begins to pose. In this small, city-surrounded acreage, magic is afoot.

I continue walking back to the car and think I notice a trail. At further inspection, it appears to be just a break in some of the undergrowth. I slowly turn, and see a unicorn out of the corner of my eye, it shies from my full glance as I take one more look before leaving this amazing realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment